APPAREL TECHNICAL DESIGNER
ABOUT NASTY PIG
Nasty Pig is a global brand that makes high quality, intentionally designed clothing and products for everyone who is embracing their queerness and sexuality. Founded in New York City in 1994 by husbands David Lauterstein and Frederick Kearney, and started with a fifty dollar investment, Nasty Pig has grown into the leading menswear brand for the LGBTQ+ community. Since day one we have prioritized the needs of our customers over fitting into the expectations of the fashion industry, and by doing so we have grown every year of our twenty six year history. We pride ourselves on our quality and our fit, and we hold ourselves to the highest standards because our amazing customers deserve nothing less.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Nasty Pig, Inc. is seeking an Apparel Technical Designer to join our team in New York, NY. In this role you will be working through the production lifecycle with our overseas production partners, focusing on product development, fit, construction and quality. The Technical Designer will report to the Manager of Technical Design and work in tandem with the Production, Design and Marketing teams. The successful candidate will have a strong background in Technical Design for both knits and wovens across several product categories, with excellent collaborative skills and the ability to work independently.
This is a full time position based in New York City.
WHAT THE ROLE ENTAILS
- Develop Designer’s styles from proto through production using block patterns and specs
- Create Tech Pack required Technical and POM sketches along with artwork pages to communicate design, print placement, and construction details
- Execute print ready graphic and sublimation artwork, for sending to our overseas production partners
- Develop and update detailed Excel Tech Packs, recording garment’s fit and construction history from proto through production
- Prepare garments for fittings, at all stages of the production process: Measuring against spec., reviewing design and construction information
- Lead fit sessions communicating all details to the Creative Director, Design and Production teams. Assess garment on model and make recommendations to resolve any fit or construction issues
- Communicate pattern corrections, construction changes, and initiate sample requests with our overseas production partners
- May include overseas travel to assist with garment inspection during the production process, and product development stage
- Proficiency with Mac based systems a plus
- 3-5 years of experience in apparel technical design (as an associate or technical designer), menswear experience preferred
- Expertise of pattern making, and product development for knit and woven garments for different product categories and a thorough understanding of fit and construction
- Must be proficient in Illustrator and Photoshop and must have strong technical sketching and graphic design ability
- Must have strong computer skills with basic/intermediate knowledge of Excel
- Knowledge of other specific software such as Browzwear a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication with overseas vendors, and cross functional teams
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated with the ability to act with a sense of urgency
- Eagerness and ability to meet deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced environment, driven by teamwork and collaborative innovation
- Associate’s and/or Bachelor’s Degree preferred in Fashion Design / Patternmaking
We offer a competitive salary package, strong health benefits, fifteen PTOs a year, and plenty of snacks.
Send your resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
- Good Is The Enemy Of Great - Our customers choose to spend their money with Nasty Pig and they deserve a brand that is competitive with the best players in the industry.
- Fit Is Everything - From the standard we set for every garment to the way we build our team, we know the value of working hard to achieve the perfect fit for our customers and our company.
- The Bottom Line Is As Important As The Hemline - In an industry focused on smoke and mirrors, we value a strong, sustainable business model that prioritizes real success over flash-in-the-pan fame.
- Do Well By Doing Good - We believe that financial success comes with being benevolent human beings, and we lead with our hearts as well as our heads always.
THE NASTY PIG TEAM
WHY WORK FOR NASTY PIG
- We have a great corporate culture that is an incubator for talented individuals. Input is encouraged and welcomed from all members of the team.
- We offer competitive salaries within our industry.
- We give our full time employees full health coverage.
- We have a generous Safe Harbor 401K plan for our full time employees to participate in.
- We are proud supporters of the Ali Forney Center, a charity dedicated to housing, feeding and educating homeless LGBTQ youth.
THINK YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?